Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Meet Lauryn Grinnell, Founder of Runway to Freedom

Lauryn Grinnell
Intermezzo Salon & Spa

V: Why did you start the Runway to Freedom fashion show?
L: I started the Runway to Freedom fashion show in 2010 to raise awareness around domestic violence, a topic that needs to be recognized since it taints so many of our lives. I also started it to give victims a solution out of their unhealthy environments and abusive relationships through raising money for the non profit of New Beginnings. I've learned that even in our short lives, we all can and should give back and this is my way of doing so.

V: What makes Runway to Freedom different from other charity events?
L: Runway to Freedom is a different type of charity show in the sense that everyone involved is a volunteer, which is absolutely incredible. No one is paid for donating their time or services. It also is the only fashion show I know of that raises money for a domestic violence shelter in Seattle, Wa.

V: What is your goal of Runway to Freedom in the future?
L: My goal for Runway to Freedom in the future is to become bigger and better allowing me to reach out to wider audiences and raise more money. I have contacted other venues for the future so if anyone has suggestions around places that would be willing to host 500+ in attendance for events let me know! At some point Runway to Freedom may also support other or multiple charities at a time.

V: Switching gears, I know you believe in staying chic as much as you believe in empowerment. Do you have any useful hair care tips for our readers?
L: My favorite hair tip at the moment would be using a wand/cone iron to curl or create wave in your hair. This is a very old-school Hollywood look turned modern! You wrap the hair about 2 inches down from the base of the hair, hold it in the iron for 20 seconds, and then let loose. Then pin the curl with a bobbi or double-pronged clip. After setting your whole head in this way, take out all the pins and then with a wide tooth, comb your hair straight down in a horizontal position to soften that curl into a wave. The last step is to spray with a light hold hair spray and there you have it! Timeless curls! If you want some help with it come see me at lntermezzo Salon and Spa so we can have a styling session.

Thanks so much for reading everyone! I, of course, am on Facebook and Twitter (@seattlehair). Visit my personal site at lalascuts.com for some of my styling work on set.

Lauren Grinnell (left)

No comments:

Post a Comment